Listen to my brother’s self-produced soundtracks and lofi-beats.(GR Productions)
John Paul Arceno
JP is an aspiring author, yet so far to be one (marami pa kong kakaining bigas at lalaklaking kape). I think and not think most of the time hahaha. Socially inclined introvert, gets? Average learner, thinker, preacher, writer, and coffee purist/ enthusiast.
Currently, I am the Lead Pastor of Union Community Bible Church in New Jersey.
I received an Associate Degree in Information Systems Technology and Management (2012) from Southville International School and Colleges – SEED. Then, a Bachelor of Secondary Education (2014) at Oxfordian Colleges, Dasmariñas, Cavite.
I got my Master of Divinity from Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary, Baguio City, in 2017. Also, I graduated from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky, with a Master of Theology (ThM) in Theological and Historical Studies (December 2020).
Currently, completing my Postgraduate study in Digital Theology at Spurgeon’s College, London, UK, under tutors Dr. Jonas Kulberg and Dr. Peter Phillips. And pursuing a Ph.D. in Systematic Theology focusing on Digital Theology under Dr. Malcolm Yarnell III at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
More trivia, I am a former coffee shop owner, pastor of Faith in Christ Fellowship-Scout Barrio, Baguio (2016-2019), and IT lecturer at Southville International School and Colleges (SEED & SSLC, 2015-2016), LMS-ID website developer, and designer.
RECENT PUBLISHED WORKS:
- “Is Virtual Baptism a ‘Real’ Baptism?” in Theology and Technology ed. William Anderson (Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, August 2020) – Chapter 9; (PDF Link)
- “A Southern Baptist Story: The Life and Ministry of Henry P. Silbor, 1938-2010,” TALA Kasaysayan: An Online Journal of History Vol 4, no. 1 (June 2021): 46-77; (PDF Link)
- “Utopian Virtual Reality in Ready Player One: Responding with Real Hope and the Christian Teleos,” in Film, Philosophy and Religion ed. William Anderson (Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, August 2021). – Chapter 4; (PDF Link)
- “Theology of Virtual Realism: Metaverse, VR Church, and Real Experience,” How Theology and Faith Shape Digital Culture at Global Network for Digital Theology Conference 2022; (PDF Link)
- Richard Sibbes and the Work of the Holy Spirit on Assurance of Faith: The Second Sealing of the Holy Spirit (April 2020); also, several ThM research papers of John Calvin and Thomas Manton on Lord’s Prayer, Richard Baxter on Conversion, and John Bunyan on Christian Life.
- Virtual Reality and Christianity: Duty to Proclaim the Gospel in the Virtual World (May 2020); Originally “Virtual Reality, Utopian Enlightenment, and the Church”.
- Understanding Jesus as the Messianic Fulfillment of Luke 14:16-21: Opposing Liberation Theology as a Method of Reading the Text (August 2020)
- Evangelising the Nexus Generation: Authenticity and Experience Levels of Digital Applications for Missions (June 2022) Spurgeon’s College London UK, Digitally Mediated Christianity Course Portfolio.
- Divine Proximity in the Digital Spaces: An Integrative Theological Method (October 2022), Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas, Research Paper for Theological Method Ph.D. Seminar under Dr. Malcolm Yarnell III.
- Digital Theological Anthropology: Pornography, Embodiment, and Christian Wellbeing (April 2023), Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas, Research Paper for Contemporary Theology Ph.D. Seminar under Dr. Malcolm Yarnell III.
- Speaker, “A Webinar on Understanding Anxiety and Depression in Christian Perspective,” University Baptist Church Youth Life Student Center, Sto. Tomas, Batangas, January 23, 2021 (Online).
- Speaker, “Digital Outreach: The Duty to Proclaim the Gospel in the Virtual World,” South Metro Manila Baptist Churches Association Women Missionary Union, Metro Manila, February 25, 2021 (Online).
- Paper Presenter, “Virtual Reality and Christianity: The Duty to Proclaim the Gospel in the Virtual World,” Theme: 500 Years of Christianity: Revisiting the Faith to Move Forward, International Conference on Catechesis and Religious Education, Metro Manila, June 25-26, 2021 (Online). – Zoom Record
- Session Speaker, “Digital Realities,” World Evangelical Alliance Mission Commission, Online Conference 2022 April 6-8. – Record.
- Session Speaker, “Tech rEvolutions: Missions in Our Digital Future” in Our Missions Future, World Evangelical Alliance Mission Commission Global Consultation an Chiang Mai, Thailand on 2023 January 31 to February 3.
- Paper Presenter, “Digital Theology in Asian Context: A Case Study in the Philippines,” in Asian Practical Theology International Conference 2023, Doing Practical Theology with Asian Resources: Retrospect and Prospect, Hong Kong/ Online, 2023 June 2 to June 3.
Indigitous Digital Missions Trainings and Conferences
- Facilitator of Digital Outreach: Missions and Evangelism in digital spaces since 2016.
- Lecturer, “Theology and Technology: Digital Outreach,” Indigitous Philippines, Baguio City, August 10, 2020 (Online).
- Facilitator, “Digital Outreach Training for Trainers,” Indigitous Global, May 15, 22, and 29, 2021 [Link].
- Facilitator, ” Digital Missions Launchpad” using [discipleship.space], Indigitous Global.
- 2022 March 10 to 31 with 40+ enrolled digital catalysts from Philippines.
- 2022 September 8 to 29 with 60+ potential digital missionaries from Malaysia, Taiwan, Ethiopia, Indonesia, USA, Cambodia, and Philippines.
- 2023 March with 90+ training digital missionaries and practitioners.
- Speaker, “Theology and Technology: Metaverse, AI, and Media,” Missions x Tech Meetup Indigitous Philippines at Village Baptist Church, Muntinlupa City on February 25, 2023.
- External Examiner, “The Experiences of the Selected Children in the Northern Philippine Conference of the Free Methodist Churches in Light of their Social Media Apps Usage, ” by Ken Baldo (M. A. Christian Communication Thesis, Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary, Taytay, Rizal, April 25, 2021).
- With Asia Pacific Media PH, “AI and Church” on Media Ministry Forum and Asia Pacific Media (April 24, 2023).
- With Home of Praise Philippines, “Theology and Technology” on Native Tongues episode 58 (December 9, 2022).
- With Henrik and Aaron, “Pastoring as a Young Millennial and Digital Theology” on Filipino American Ministry Podcast Episode 8 (September 6, 2022).
- With Dr. Bethel Bumanglag-Webb, “Starting a Healthy Digital Lifestyle” on Grow Deep Podcast Episode 163 (July 1, 2022).
- Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary through Seminary Education by Extension (current Facilitator and Lecturer) – Baptist Studies, Church History, and Research & Design.
- Philippine Christian University (Adjunct Faculty) – Digital Theology, Church Management, Living in the IT Era, and professional education classes since 2021.
- International Graduate School of Leadership through Foundations for Christian Leadership (Lecturer) – Digital Theology and Digital Strategies in November 2021; and Technology and Theology in February 2023.
- Hsaw Htit Karen Baptist Bible School in Myanmar (Lecturer) – Church History in June to August 2021; and Baptist History in January to February 2023.
For book reviews, check my blogs or academia page. Thanks!