Listen to my brother’s self-produced soundtracks and lofi-beats.(GR Productions)
John Paul Arceno
JP is an aspiring author, yet so far to be one (marami pa kong kakaining bigas at lalaklaking kape). I think and not think most of the time hahaha. Socially inclined introvert, gets? Average learner, thinker, preacher, writer, and coffee purist/ enthusiast.
Currently, I am the Lead Pastor of Union Community Bible Church in New Jersey. At the same place, I am the acting Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary-Seminary Education by Extension (SEE) Facilitator of New Jersey Center.
I received an Associate Degree in Information Systems Technology and Management (2012) from Southville International School and Colleges – SEED.
Then, a Bachelor of Secondary Education (2014) at Oxfordian Colleges, Dasmariñas, Cavite. I got my Master of Divinity from Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary, Baguio City, in 2017.
Also, I graduated from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky, with a Master of Theology (ThM) in Theological and Historical Studies (December 2020).
Currently, completing my Postgraduate study in Digital Theology at Spurgeon’s College, London, UK, under tutors Dr. Jonas Kulberg and Dr. Peter Phillips. While pursuing a Ph.D. in Systematic Theology focusing on Digital Theology under Dr. Malcolm Yarnell at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
More trivia, I am a former coffee shop owner, pastor of Faith in Christ Fellowship-Scout Barrio, Baguio (2016-2019), and IT lecturer at Southville International School and Colleges (SEED & SSLC, 2015-2016), LMS-ID website developer, and designer.
RECENT PUBLISHED WORKS:
- “Is Virtual Baptism a ‘Real’ Baptism?” in Theology and Technology ed. William Anderson (Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, August 2020) – Chapter 9; (PDF Link)
- “A Southern Baptist Story: The Life and Ministry of Henry P. Silbor, 1938-2010,” TALA Kasaysayan: An Online Journal of History Vol 4, no. 1 (June 2021): 46-77; (PDF Link)
- “Utopian Virtual Reality in Ready Player One: Responding with Real Hope and the Christian Teleos,” in Film, Philosophy and Religion ed. William Anderson (Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, August 2021). – Chapter 4; (PDF Link)
- “Theology of Virtual Realism: Metaverse, VR Church, and Real Experience,” How Theology and Faith Shape Digital Culture at Global Network for Digital Theology Conference 2022; (PDF Link)
- Richard Sibbes and the Work of the Holy Spirit on Assurance of Faith: The Second Sealing of the Holy Spirit (April 2020); also, several ThM research papers of John Calvin and Thomas Manton on Lord’s Prayer, Richard Baxter on Conversion, and John Bunyan on Christian Life.
- Virtual Reality and Christianity: Duty to Proclaim the Gospel in the Virtual World (May 2020); Originally “Virtual Reality, Utopian Enlightenment, and the Church”; now Metaverse and Christianity (World Evangelical Alliance 2022).
- Understanding Jesus as the Messianic Fulfillment of Luke 14:16-21: Opposing Liberation Theology as a Method of Reading the Text (August 2020)
- Evangelising the Nexus Generation: Authenticity and Experience Levels of Digital Applications for Missions (June 2022) Spurgeon’s College London UK, Digitally Mediated Christianity Course Portfolio.
- Divine Proximity in the Digital Spaces: An Integrative Theological Method (October 2022), Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas, Research Paper for Theological Method Ph.D. seminar.
- Speaker, “A Webinar on Understanding Anxiety and Depression in Christian Perspective,” University Baptist Church Youth Life Student Center, Sto. Tomas, Batangas, January 23, 2021 (Online).
- Speaker, “Digital Outreach: The Duty to Proclaim the Gospel in the Virtual World,” South Metro Manila Baptist Churches Association Women Missionary Union, Metro Manila, February 25, 2021 (Online).
- Paper Presenter, “Virtual Reality and Christianity: The Duty to Proclaim the Gospel in the Virtual World,” Theme: 500 Years of Christianity: Revisiting the Faith to Move Forward, International Conference on Catechesis and Religious Education, Metro Manila, June 25-26, 2021 (Online). – Zoom Record
- Session Speaker, Digital Realities, World Evangelical Alliance Mission Commission, Online Conference 2022 April 6-8. – Record.
Indigitous Digital Missions Trainings and Conferences
- Facilitator of Digital Outreach: Missions and Evangelism in digital spaces since 2016.
- Lecturer, “Theology and Technology: Digital Outreach,” Indigitous Philippines, Baguio City, August 10, 2020 (Online).
- Facilitator, “Digital Outreach Training for Trainers,” Indigitous Global, May 15, 22, and 29, 2021 [Link].
- Facilitator, ” Digital Missions Launchpad” using [discipleship.space], Indigitous Global.
- 2022 March 10 to 31 with 40+ enrolled digital catalysts from Philippines.
- 2022 September 8 to 29 with 60+ potential digital missionaries from Malaysia, Taiwan, Ethiopia, Indonesia, USA, Cambodia, and Philippines.
- External Examiner, “The Experiences of the Selected Children in the Northern Philippine Conference of the Free Methodist Churches in Light of their Social Media Apps Usage, ” by Ken Baldo (M. A. Christian Communication Thesis, Asia-Pacific Nazarene Theological Seminary, Taytay, Rizal, April 25, 2021).
- With Home of Praise Philippines, “Theology and Technology” on Native Tongues episode 58 (December 9, 2022).
- With Henrik and Aaron, “Pastoring as a Young Millennial and Digital Theology” on Filipino American Ministry Podcast Episode 8 (September 6, 2022).
- With Dr. Bethel Bumanglag-Webb, “Starting a Healthy Digital Lifestyle” on Grow Deep Podcast Episode 163 (July 1, 2022).
- Philippine Baptist Theological Seminary through Seminary Education by Extension (current Facilitator and Lecturer) – Baptist Studies, Church History, and Research & Design.
- Philippine Christian University (Adjunct Faculty) – Digital Theology, Church Management, Living in the IT Era, and professional education classes since 2021.
- International Graduate School of Leadership through Foundations for Christian Leadership (Guest Lecturer) – Digital Theology and Digital Strategies – November 2021.
- Hsaw Htit Karen Baptist Bible School in Myanmar (Guest Lecturer) – Church History – June to August 2021.
For book reviews, check my blogs or academia page. Thanks!